Latest posts by Coach Jeremy (see all)
- Try These Shooting Drills with The Extreme Passing Kit - April 24, 2014
- Stickhandling Drills with the Dangler - March 5, 2014
- 5 Shooting Drills With the Extreme Passer Pro - January 26, 2014
Stickhandling is a very important skill that every hockey player should work on. If you are serious about improving your stickhandling you should have a number of products to help. One very popular product are wood stickhandling balls, and smart hockey stickhandling balls. Another popular method is to use weighted pucks.
Weighted Hockey Pucks
Weighted pucks are popular to use for stickhandling because they will challenge the hockey players muscles in new ways. In order to train muscles to perform actions you must first learn the basic motions, after you can perform the motions and build the muscles you will need to build muscle memory.
Muscle memory gives the muscles the ability to perform an action automatically. The best way to build muscle memory is with repetition.
Move Master Weighted Puck System
By using the Move Master weighted puck system players can use a system to learn new moves. The system is detailed below.
- First build the muscles and basic patterns with a puck that is heavier and bigger than a normal hockey puck.
- After building the muscles a player can further work with another puck that is slightly heavier than a normal puck. This will challenge the hockey player more, while improving their muscle memory and hand eye co-ordination
- Then players can build muscle memory with repetition using a puck that is lighter, and smaller than a normal puck. The smaller, lighter puck is meant to challenge players more than a regular puck ever will. Then when a player goes back to using a regular puck, all the moves will seem easier
Move Master Weighted Puck Details
Muscle Puck – This puck weighs 11.5 ounces which is twice the weight of most pucks (the average hockey puck weighs 5.5 – 6 ounces) and is used to build the muscles involved in performing special dekes and moves, and help players develop proper technique and patterns with slow movements. The puck is also 3.7 inches in diameter, making it bigger than a normal puck. The bigger size will make it a bit easier to handle and catch.
Skillz Puck – This puck is 6.8 ounces, which is slightly heavier than a normal hockey puck. The diameter is the same as a regular puck, 3 inches. This puck is meant to help develop proper hand position, technique and muscle memory
Speed Puck – This puck weighs 3.4 ounces, much lighter than a normal puck. The diameter is 2.4 inches, making it smaller than a regulation puck, and a bit more challenging to handle. The light weight is designed to help build hand speed and quickness.
Weighted Hockey Puck Video Overview
In this video we give you a close-up look of the weighted hockey pucks, and talk a bit about how they work.
Where to Buy Weighted Hockey Pucks
If you would like to purchase the weighted hockey pucks you can find the best prices (and other cool hockey gear) at Hockey Shot